- Copyright © 1984 Caryl Bryer Fallert
- Size: 72" x 90"
- Techniques: Hand pieced, hand quilted
- Materials: fabric: Velvet & mens' tie fabrics, polyester
- Price: nfs
See more information and details below
The design for this quilt is based on a single central mariners
compass. Both the center medallion and the border design were drawn to scale
on graph paper before being enlarged to make templates. The spaces between
the points of the compass were divided by curved lines.
I wanted to create the feeling of a gothic cathedral window. The fabrics
were chosen for their richness and tactile qualities, and include rayon velvet,
cotton velveteen, and men's' tie fabrics. Because these fabrics are challenging
to piece by machine, the entire quilt was pieced and quilted by hand. The
back of the quilt is shiny, raspberry satin.
details for larger images
- QUILTERS GUILD OF DALLAS 1984 SHOW, Dallas TX (FIRST PLACE)
- SILVER DOLLAR CITY: SPRING ARTS AND CRAFTS FESTIVAL SHOW, 1984 (judged)
Branson, MO (HONORABLE MENTION)
- LAKE SHORE QUILT SHOW, 1984 (invitational) Manitowoc, WI
- DOOR COUNTY INVITATIONAL QUILT SHOW, 1984 Washington, Island, WI
- AMERICAN GALLERY OF QUILT AND TEXTILE ART, 1985 (solo exhibition) Gig Harbor,
- HOLIDAY GARDEN OF QUILTS, Illinois Quilters Inc. 1986 Chicago Botanic Garden,
- SPECTRUM: THE TEXTILE ART OF CARYL BRYER FALLERT, Traveling Solo Exhibition,
1996-1998 Illinois Art Gallery, Chicago, IL, Illinois State Museum, Springfield,
IL, New England Quilt Museum, Lowell, MA
- "Evolving Styles - 20 Years of Color & Design" Solo Exhibition:
LaConner Quilt Museum, LaConner WA, March 16 - May 15, 2005
- Caryl Bryer Fallert: Silver Star Salute: Retrospective Exhibition, International
Quilt Market & International Quilt Festival, October 27-November 5, 2006,
- Caryl Bryer Fallert: A Retrospective, New England Quilt Museum, Lowell, MA, August 20 - October 31, 2015
- Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry: 40 Years of Color, Light, & Motion, Mitchell Museum, Cedarhurst Center for the Arts, Mt. Vernon, IL, July 31-October 9, 2016
- CARYL BRYER FALLERT: A SPECTRUM OF QUILTS 1983-1995, 1996, AQS Books, pp.