The design for this quilt began with a series of thumbnail sketches with wavy lines, radiating from a corner. I penciled in connections in many different ways, and picked the ones I likes the best. This is the second design in which I have used shapes drawn from traditional quilted "feathers". The feathers are pieced from four fabrics in my Gradations collection for Benartex. The background is pieced from eight different colors in my Electric Feathers collection.
All of the curved seams in
this quilt were joined using "Applipiecing", a technique
I developed in 1989 to make curved seams fast, easy,
and accurate. Instructions for applipiecing can be found in several of my patterns and workshops on CD. These are available online at Joy's Fabric and Quilts. Free tutorial can be found at: http://www.bryerpatch.com/faq/faq.htm
- Bryerpatch Studio Gallery, Port Townsend, WA, August-December, 2014
- 30 Quilts for 30 Years: Solo, traveling exhibition celebrating 30 years of making art quilts.
- Wisconsin Quilt Museum, Cedarburg, WI, January 14- April 12, 2015
- Virginia Quilt Museum, Harrisonburg, VA – October 14, - December 19, 2015
- Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry: 40 Years of Color, Light, & Motion, University Museum, University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS, January 26 - April 16, 2016
- Fantasias in Fiber & Beads: (two person show) Northwind Arts Center, Port Townsend, WA, May 5-29, 2016
- Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry: 40 Years of Color, Light, & Motion, Mitchell Museum, Cedarhurst Center for the Arts, Mt. Vernon, IL, July 31-October 9, 2016
Publications & Media: