See more information and details below
- Copyright © 1998 Caryl Bryer Fallert
- Size: 78" high x 65" wide
- Materials: 100% cotton fabric / 100% wool batting
- Techniques: Hand dyed, hand painted, machine pieced,
appliqued, and quilted
- Price: $9400.00
When my husband and I moved to our Northern
Illinois farm in 1978, we inherited a flock of Guinea fowl.
These comical birds gave us endless hours of entertainment.
The feathers of the Guinea fowl are highly patterned, with
black, white and gray dots. The design for this quilt
was inspired by a macro photograph of one of the feathers
of a Guinea fowl. Of course, I took many aritstc liberties
with the colors of the feather, turning it into a graphic
design, that departs substantially from the original photographic
|Line drawing done in Corel Draw!
|Black, white and gray, value study
The design process began with a photograph
of a Guinea fowl feather. I drew this very graphic interpretation
of the feather directly on the computer using Corel Draw!,
my computer drawing program. I experimented with various
arrangements of value, in a black, white and gray study.
After that I experimented with many different arrangements
of color, even filling some of the shapes in my design with
direct scans of some of my hand painted fabric.
When I felt I was ready to begin the quilt, I printed out
the color study I liked the best, to use as a general guide.
The line drawing was enlarged, using an overhead projector.
The large paper drawing was cut up into individual pieces,
which were used as templates for cutting the fabric.
The quilt is pieced and appliqued using hand
painted and gradation dyed fabrics. On the left
side, the background is a fabric painted with a gradation
of purple, blue and green. The eliptical dots are
graduated from purple to red, to orange, and gold.
These dots are surrounded by rings that graduate from black
to gray to white. In the center the background is
black, with three large elipses in the colors of fire.
The background on the right side of the quilt is medium
gray, with smaller, eliptical dots, surrounded by rings
Separating the colored background fabric and the
black background fabric, are several, vertical, solid colored
stripes, and a single sawtooth stripe that graduated from
black and white at the top and bottom to gray and white
in the center of the quilt. The quilting pattern
is a series of curving lines at one inch intervals, representing
the individual vanes of the feather. These lines emerge
from the vertical center stripes, which represent the center
shaft of the feather.
The quilt is completed with a 2" black
border on the right side, and a 2" gray border on the
left. A black binding surrounds the quilt.
The back of the quilt is made from a comercially
printed fabric with colorful eliptical dots on a black background,
similar to the appliqued dots on the front of the quilt.
- Quilt National '99, The Dairy Barn Cultural Arts Center,
Athens, OH and traveling for three years.
- Art Quilt Tahoe 2002
- The Chicago Athenaeum, 2003, Schaumburg, IL
- Spring Quilt Festival, Faculty Showcase Exhibit, 2004,
- Fabric Cottage, Annual Quilt Festival, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 2004
- "Evolving Styles - 20 Years of Color & Design",
Solo Exhibition: LaConner Quilt Museum, LaConner WA, March
16 - May 15, 2005
- Caryl Bryer Fallert: Silver Star Salute: Retrospective
Exhibition, International Quilt Market & International
Quilt Festival, October 27-November 5, 2006, Houston,
- Silver Star Review: Quilt Festival 30th Anniversary
Quilt Festival 2009, Houston TX
- Quilt (R)Evolution: Art Quilt Retrospective 1979 – 2014 (Quilt National Jurors' Retrospective) Dairy Barn Arts Center, Athens, OH September 19 – November 23, 2014
- Wisconsin Museum of Quilts and Fiber Arts, (retrospective exhibition of my work) Cedarburg, WI, January 14-April 12, 2015
- Caryl Bryer Fallert: A Retrospective, New England Quilt Museum, Lowell, MA, August 20 - October 31, 2015
- Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry: 40 Years of Color, Light, & Motion, University Museum, University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS, January 26 - April 16, 2016
- Fantasias in Fiber & Beads: (two person show) Northwind Arts Center, Port Townsend, WA, May 5-29, 2016
- Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry: 40 Years of Color, Light, & Motion, Mitchell Museum, Cedarhurst Center for the Arts, Mt. Vernon, IL, July 31-October 9, 2016
- Quilt National '99 catalog
- Down Under Quilts, 1998, December, p. 9
- Chicago Athenaeum show postcard, 2004
- Quilt (R)Evolution: An Art Quilt Retrospective, 2014, The Dairy Barn Arts Center, p. 52