See more information and details below
- Copyright © 1989 Caryl Bryer Fallert
- Size: 61" x 49"
- Techniques: Hand dyed, machine pieced,and quilted
- Materials: fabric: 100% cotton / batting: 80% cotton
/ 20% polyester
- Private Collection: Pintlala, Alabama
The design for this quilt was based on a series of thumbnail sketches and
color renderings done over a two year period from 1987 - 1989. The sketches
began with organic shapes, derived from nature. The design was developed by
repeating these shapes at various angles, and doodling in connecting lines.
A full size drawing was done, based on the sketches, but not an exact copy
of any one of them. The full size drawing was cut up, and each individual
section was used as a template for string piecing. (i.e.. strips of fabric
were sewn directly to the paper templates) The pieces of the picture were
then reassembled, using a construction method that is a cross between applique
The theme of this quilt is the sense of wonder, mystery, beauty, and serenity
to be found on a visit to an exotic, tropical garden. The shapes do not represent
any particular botanical species.
The machine quilting was done freehand, with no marking.
details for larger images
My use of a traditional quilt pattern (Log Cabin) on the back of this contemporary
art quilt is my tribute to the creativity of the many anonymous quilt artists
of the past.
- AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL QUILT ASSOCIATION SHOW, 1989, Houston, TX (First Place)
- AUSTRALASIAN QUILTERS SYMPOSIUM SHOW, 1989, Armidale, NSW, Australia (teachers
- FABRIC GARDENS, opening- Expo 90, Tokyo Japan, traveling to other locations
in Japan through Dec. 1990. Traveling to locations throughout the United States
- CONTEMPORARY QUILTS: FOUR VISIONS IN FIBER, 1994, (Invitational) The Stocker
Center Gallery, Elyria,OH
- AQS FACULTY QUILT EXHIBIT, 1994, (invitational) Paducah, KY
- QUILT JAPAN, Vol. #14, p. 82
- QUILT WORLD magazine, May, 1990
- AIQA QUARTERLY, Spring, 1990 p. 13
- AMERICAN QUILTER MAGAZINE, Fall, 1990 pp. 1, 15, 17, 20, 21 (feature article)
- FABRIC GARDENS, Asahi Shimbun, 1991 p. 56
- FABRIC GARDENS POSTCARD, Japan, 1990
- AMERIFLORA POSTCARD, Dairy Barn Arts Center, 1991
- THE VISUAL DANCE, 1995, Joen Wolfrom, C&T Publishing, p.32
- Horticulture Magazine, February, 2001 p. 14
- Quilted Masterieces Datekeeper, 2013, C&T Publishing, Inside cover title page