||Feathers in the Wind #2
- Copyright © 2012 Caryl Bryer Fallert
- Size: 30" wide x 30" high (76cm x 76cm)
- Techniques: Machine piecing, machine quilting
- Materials: fabric: 100% cotton / batting: 50% cotton/50%
- Owner: Private collection, Naperville, IL
See details & more information below
This quilt is one of a series of quilts based upon a series of
original drawings of fantasy feathers. In this piece I have used
many different fabrics from my "Gradations Collection"(available
at Paper Pieces), which I designed for Benartex, based on my
original hand dyed gradations. The juxtaposition of intersecting
gradations in the plumes of the feathers creates the illusion
that they are lit from within, rather than from an outside source.
The background was pieced from sky colors. The machine quilting
was done freehand with many different colors of thread.
The design for this quilt began with a series of small sketches,
in pencil and marker, in which I tried a number of different arrangements
of plumes. Some have six plumes and some only five.
I picked the one I liked the best and printed several copies
on a page then drew in backgrounds.
details for larger images
When I finally found a background arrangement I liked, the image
was printed on a piece of transparent acetate, and projected onto
a piece of freezer paper that was 31" square. I drew the
design on freezer paper with pencil, refined it, and cut the freezer
paper drawing apart to make templates for cutting my fabric. I
made the quilt top a little larger than the finished quilt to
allow for the shrinkage that occurs with dense quilting.
- Bryerpatch Studio,
Paducah KY, 2012-13
- 30 Quilts for 30 Years: Solo, traveling exhibition celebrating
30 years of making art quilts.
- International Quilt Market & Festival, 2013, Houston
TX, October 25–November 3, 2013
- National Quilt Museum, Paducah KY, December 6, 2013
– March 11, 2014
- Bryerpatch Studio Gallery, Paducah KY March 15, 2014 – May 1, 2014
- Visions Art Museum, San Diego, CA, August 1, 2014 – September 21, 2014
- Wisconsin Quilt Museum, Cedarburg, WI, January 14- April 12, 2015
- LaConner Quilt Museum, LaConner WA – July 1–October 4, 2015
- Virginia Quilt Museum, Harrisonburg, VA – October 14, - December 19, 2015
- Fine Quilting & Fiber Art Guide: Paducah Kentucky, 2013 Paducah Convention & Visitors Bureau, Paducah KY, COVER, p. 3
Click for larger image
|Installation at International Quilt Market & Festival, 2013, Houston, TX
Web Site Design by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry © 1997-2016
All Rights Reserved
Bryerpatch Studio • 10 Baycliff Place • Port Townsend, WA • 98368 • USA
360-385-2568 • email@example.com