|Fibonacci Series #10
Copyright © 2012 Caryl Bryer Fallert
Size: 30" x 30" (76cm x 76cm)
Techniques: machine pieced and quilted
Materials: Fabric: 100% cotton, Batting: 50%
cotton / 50% bamboo
See more information and details below
you would like to purchase or exhibit this quilt, please contact Caryl privately.
Email Phone: 360-385-2568 Snail Mail: Bryerpatch Studio 10 Baycliff Place. Port Townsend, WA 98368
The design for this quilt is based on the orderly progressions
of scale, observed in nature by thirteenth century mathematician
Leonard Fibonacci. The entire quilt, including the back was
made from leftover strips of fabric from my Gradations Collection
from Benartex. The strips were cut into 1.5", 2.5",
3.5" & 5.5" widths to finish in the Fibonacci
proportions (1-2-3-5) when sewn together. Strips were selected
randomly without regard for color, only contrast. They were
sewn together until their width was 30.5". The strip-pieced
fabric was cross cut into strips in the same proportions,
and every other strip was rotated 180 degrees, so some of
the seamlines line up and other do not. These strips were
sewn together until they formed a 30" square. One strip
was left and this runs diagonally across the back of the quilt,
with other fabrics from Caryl collections completing the
back. Unlike the 2011 Fibonacci quilts I have quilted this
piece in the style of my earlier Fibonacci Series quilts with
decorative feather patterns. The five feathers are quilted in contrasting, dark green and turquoise top stitching thread. The negative spaces are quilted with lighter colored thread in flower and spiral patterns.
This quilt will be part of a solo exhibition called "30 Quilts
for 30 Years", which will premiere at the International Quilt
Festival in Houston, November 2013, and subsequently travel
to additional venues (see travel schedule).
fabrics used in this quilt are available at Paper Pieces and at Joy's Fabrics & Quilts.
To see other quilts using the Fibonacci Sequence, click here.
on details for larger images
- Bryerpatch Studio, Paducah KY, October 2012-13
- 30 Quilts for 30 Years: Solo, traveling exhibition celebrating
30 years of making art quilts.
- International Quilt Market & Festival, 2013, Houston
TX, October 25-November 3, 2013
- National Quilt Museum, Paducah KY, December 6, 2013
to March 11, 2014
- Bryerpatch Studio Gallery, Paducah KY March 15, 2014 – May 1, 2014
- Visions Art Museum, San Diego, CA, August 1, 2014 – September 21, 2014
- La Conner Quilt & Textile Museum, La Conner, WA, July 1 – September 4, 2015
- Cedarhurst Center for the Arts, Mt. Vernon, IL, Oct 31, 2015 – Jan 3, 2016
- Other locations to be announced. For updated information about the show, click here.
- Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry: 40 Years of Color, Light, & Motion,
- University Museum, University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS, January 26 - April 16, 2016
- Nixon Centre for Performing & Visual Arts,
Newnan, GA January 9 - February 17, 2017
- Texas Quilt Museum, La Grange, TX • March 30 - June 25, 2017
- Taps at the Guardhouse, Port Townsend, WA, December 10, 2017 – March, 10, 2018 (invitational)
Web Site Design by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry © 1997-2016
All Rights Reserved
Bryerpatch Studio • 10 Baycliff Place • Port Townsend, WA • 98368 • USA
360-385-2568 • firstname.lastname@example.org