||Garden Party #2
See details & more information below
- Copyright © 2016 Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry
- Size: 36" wide x 54" high (91cm x 138cm)
- Techniques: Hand painted & dyed, machine pieced, and
- Materials: fabric-100% cotton /
batting: 50% cotton / 50% bamboo
- Owner: Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry
The design for this quilt grew out of a series of drawings I did in 1987. I kept this design in my "inspiration" file for decades, always thinking I would eventually use it. In 1989, I made my first "Garden Party" quilt, which was loosely based on thumbnail sketch B, but with many variations from the original design. In Garden Party #2, I have used sketch C and made fewer changes to the original shapes.
|I decided to make this piece a study in secondary colors (orange, green, and purple)
and I consciously avoided blues and yellows. The background fabric was painted in a subtle gradation from purple to orange, echoing the subtle colors I see from my studio window almost every day as the sun rises over the water of Puget Sound.
The quilting was done with dozens of different colors of thread in various organic patterns that might be found in nature. Although the theme of this quilt is “garden”, it is a purely abstract design and is not meant to represent any particular species.
- American Quilters Society: Lancaster, Lancaster County Convention Center, Lancaster, PA • 3/29 - 4/1, 2017 (Best Use of Color Award)
- American Quilters Society Show: Spring: Paducah , Paducah, KY, April 26-29, 2017 (Honorable Mention)
- Pacific International Quilt Festival, Santa Clara Convention Center Santa Clara, CA, October 12-15, 2017 (Third Place, Innovative)
- The Artist as Quiltmaker, FAVA Gallery, Oberlin, OH, May 13 - July 28, 2018 (Award of Excellence)
- American Quilter Magazine, July 2017, p. 71
- The Artist as Quiltmaker XVIII, Firelands Association for the Visual Arts, 2018, p 19
Web Site Design by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry © 1997-2015
All Rights Reserved
Bryerpatch Studio • 10 Baycliff Place • Port Townsend, WA • 98368 • USA
360-385-2568 • firstname.lastname@example.org