See details & more information below
- Copyright © 2016 Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry
- Size: 32" x 48" (81cm x 122cm)
- Techniques: Hand painted, machine pieced, appliqued, and
- Materials: fabric-100% cotton •
batting- 50% cotton/ 50% bamboo
- Price: $8500.00
you would like to purchase or exhibit this quilt, please contact Caryl privately.
Email Phone: 360-385-2568 Snail Mail: Bryerpatch Studio 10 Baycliff Place. Port Townsend, WA 98368
The design for this quilt began with a photograph I took an a visit to a butterfly garden in Victoria BC in 2015. I loved the graphic quality of the butterfly in black, white, and red against the verdant background of vegetation.
Most of the fabrics are from my Gradations collection for Benartex. The background fabric on the right was hand painted. Additional shading in the wings and flower petals was added with pencil, marker, and paint sticks.
The very dense quilting was done with many different colors of #40 top-stitching thread. In the flower and the wings, the quilting added more shading. In the large leaves, I added some fantasy spirals and vein lines with several different colors of green thread. The painted background fabric was quilted with random leaf shapes in light chartreuse and the spaces between the leaves were quilted with three values of turquoise in a dense meander pattern to make the leaves stand out.
For the binding I chose a commercial, zebra striped fabric in black and white to echo the black and white of the butterfly wings.
- Butterfly Whirl, New England Quilt Museum, Invitational, May 4 - July 10, 2016
- International Quilt Assoc. Juried Show: Quilts, a World of Beauty, 2016, International Quilt Festival, Houston, TX (Honorable Mention)
- Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry: 40 Years of Color, Light, & Motion
- AQS Show: Paducah: Fall 2017, Paducah KY, September 13-16, 2017
- AQS Quilt Week - Des Moines 2017, Iowa Events Center, Des Moines, Iowa, October 4 -7, 2017 (Best Original Design Award)
- Photographs and Memories - Pacific Northwest Quilt & Fiber Arts Museum, LaConner, WA, January 14 - March 25, 2018
- Metamorphosis, SDA-NP group show, Sequim Civic Center, Sequim, WA, June 1-30, 2018
- Pacific Northwest Quilt and Fiber Arts Museum: Quilt & Fiber Arts Festival 2018, Edward D. Hansen Conference Center, Everett, WA, 10/12-14, 2018 (Second Place Pictorial, Machine Quilting Award of Excellence)
- Spring, Online exhibition: Visions Quilt Museum 2019
- Art of the Garden Exhibition, Schack Art Center, 2921 Hoyt Ave, Everett, WA, 6/20 – 8/31, 2019
- Catalog of Show Quilts 2017: Fall Edition, AQS, p. 69
- AQS Quilt Week Des Moines, 2017, Show Book, p. 66
Web Site Design by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry © 1997-2019
All Rights Reserved
Bryerpatch Studio • 10 Baycliff Place • Port Townsend, WA • 98368 • USA
360-385-2568 • email@example.com