Morning Glory Trellis
- Copyright © 1984 Caryl Bryer Fallert
- Size: 43" x 45"
- Techniques: Machine pieced, appliqued
- Materials: fabric: 100% cotton / batting:
- Private Collection: Oak Park, Illinois
See more information below
My intention was to create an abstract
summer landscape with a (non-literal) suggestion of
white lattice. A more literal trellis is appliquéd
over the abstract background and populated with three
dimensional appliqués of morning glory flowers
and leaves. I used real morning glory blossoms and leaves
to make templates for the appliqué. I didn't
want to box in the subject too neatly, so I let the
trellis weave in and out of the successive borders.
The edges and centers of the flowers were bleached slightly
to give them a more dimensional look. The sculptural
machine appliquéd flowers are partially detached
from the background.
This quilt was interpreted in stained
glass for a window at the National Quilt Museum.
Click on details
for larger images
- After Her Own Image: Woman's Work: Winston Salem,
NC - Feb.-Mar. 1985, Fine Arts Center, Salem College
(A national juried show of woman artists working
in all media)
- Quilting: New Directions - Stevens Point, WI 1985
- Fiber Celebrated: Inter-Mountain Weavers Conference,
1985, Albuquerque, NM
- A Quilt for all Seasons: Illinois Auilters Inc.
1985, Evanston, IL
- Branching Out: Northwest Suburban Quilters guild,
1986, The Chicago Botanic Garden
- The Monroe Gallery : Solo exhibition February,
1986, Chicago Il.
- Quilt Art '87 Engagement Calendar, American Quilters'
- The Aurora Beacon News - 2/14/8
Web Site Design by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry © 1997-2016
All Rights Reserved
Bryerpatch Studio • 10 Baycliff Place • Port Townsend, WA • 98368 • USA
360-385-2568 • email@example.com