||Frost Feathers #1 & #2
See details & more information below
- Copyright © 2000 Caryl Bryer Fallert
- Size: 56" high x 43"wide (140cm x 107cm)
- Techniques: Hand dyed and painted, machine appliqued, and quilted
- Materials: 100% cotton fabric batting: 80% cotton /
- Price: $4800.00 each
you would like to purchase or exhibit this quilt, please contact Caryl privately.
Email Phone: 360-385-2568 Snail Mail: Bryerpatch Studio 10 Baycliff Place. Port Townsend, WA 98368
Untitled Graphic by Paul Jenkins
Frost Feathers #1 was made especially for Inspiration, Interpretation,
Improvisation, a special exhibition in Germany. Quilts for the exhibition
were inspired individual pieces by graphic artists. I chose an untitled
graphic by artist Paul Jenkins as my inspiration because it had the same
flow of colors that I use in many of my own hand painted fabrics.
Instead of using the image of brush strokes found in the
Francis graphic, I chose to interpret frost feathers. One of the pleasures of living in a 120 year old farm house
is waking up on cold winter mornings to find frost covering the windows.
A close look at the frost patterns reveals a world of crystal splendor.
By placing a warm thumb on the window, one can melt a small oval of frost,
and then watch the frost feathers as they reemerge from the edges and
meet in the middle.
To create the image in the quilt,
I drew frost feather patterns on paper until I had one I liked. I enlarged
the drawing and cut the shapes from fabric that had been dyed in rainbow
hues. These shapes were appliqued to a white background fabric. The entire
piece is quilted in the patterns of ice crystals with many different colors
of acrylic topstitching thread.
Frost Feathers #2 was created in exactly the same way, using
the negative image left after the fabric for Frost Feathers #1 had been
cut out. Although these two quilts went to Germany and Canada respectively
for their first exhibitions, they had hung side-by-side in many subsequent shows.
Frost Feathers #1
Inspiration, Interpretation, Improvisation, 2001, Germany,
Feb. 3-16 Quilt & Art, Postfach 12 54, 63152 Muhlheim am Main,
Kloster Irsee, Mar. 25- ??, Early May, "Art In Buscher's Wine
Celler", USA 2001 Orlando, Quilt Market, May and October.
Frost Feathers #2
- Caryl Bryer Fallert: A Sense of Wonder, solo exhibition
at the Burlington Arts Center, Burlington, ON, Canada, Feb. 28- Mar.30.
- Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry: 40 Years of Color, Light, & Motion, Nixon Centre for Performing and Visual Arts, Newnan, GA, January 9 - February 17, 2017
- Texas Quilt Museum, LaGrange, TX, April - June, 2017
- The Chicago Athenaeum,
190 S. Roselle Rd.,
Schaumburg, IL 60193
January 4- March 10, 2002
- "Evolving Styles - 20 Years of Color & Design", Solo
Exhibition: LaConner Quilt Museum, LaConner WA, March 16 - May 15, 2005
- Caryl Bryer Fallert: A Retrospective, New England Quilt Museum, Lowell, MA, August 20 - October 31, 2015
- Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry: 40 Years of Color, Light, & Motion,
- University Museum, University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS, January 26 - April 16, 2016
- Mitchell Museum, Cedarhurst Center for the Arts, Mt. Vernon, IL, July 31-October 9, 2016
Inspiration, Interpretation, Improvisation, 2001, Germany
(exibition catalog) (Frost Feathers #1)
Web Site Design by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry © 1997-2016
All Rights Reserved
Bryerpatch Studio • 10 Baycliff Place • Port Townsend, WA • 98368 • USA
360-385-2568 • firstname.lastname@example.org