||Feather Study #9
See details & more information below
- Copyright © 1999 Caryl Bryer Fallert
- Size: 48" x 48"
Techniques: Hand dyed and painted, machine pieced, and quilted
- Materials: 100% cotton fabric batting: 80% cotton /
- Private Collection: New Jersey
original pencil sketch
This is one of a series
of quilts inspired by a close-up view of a feather. This quilt is a fantasy
feather that grew out of a series of hundreds of drawings on this theme.
The composition uses three sets of intersecting color gradations. The
Fuschia to purple gradation forms the background for the feather. The
highlights on the feather are a gradation of oranges from yellow to fuschia.
The feather itself is cut from an eight foot piece of fabric which was
painted in a gradation from yellow to turquoise to purple. The spiky,
pieced center spine continues the theme of intersecting color gradations.
All of the colors used in this quilt are fully saturated, so the light
occurs in the areas of the warm golden yellows and greens.
The machine quilting was done with many different colors
of Madeira Poly-Neon thread. The feather is quilted in freeform organic
patterns, and the background is quilted with an overall black meander
The back of the quilt is a single hand painted fabric in
- Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival,
(juried) Feb. 23-27, 2000, Williamsburg Marriott Hotel, Williamsburg,
VA (First Place - Best use of Color)
- American Quilters Society Show & Contest, April 12-16, 2000
(First Place-Wall Quilt Professional)
- Art Quilts: Contemporary Art Forms from Traditional Origins, Dubuque
Museum of Art, Dubuque, IA (invitational)
- Caryl Bryer Fallert: A Sense of Wonder, solo exhibition at the Burlington
Arts Center, Burlington, ON, Canada, Feb. 28- Mar.30. 2001 info@BurlingtonArtCentre.on.ca
- American Quilter Magazine, Fall, 2000, p. 40
- Quilters Newsletter Magazine, June 2000, p.
Web Site Design by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry © 1997-2015
All Rights Reserved
Bryerpatch Studio • 10 Baycliff Place • Port Townsend, WA • 98368 • USA
360-385-2568 • firstname.lastname@example.org