||High Tech Tucks #25
See details & more information below
- Copyright © 1990Caryl Bryer Fallert
- Size: 30" x 40"
- Techniques: Hand dyed, pleated, machine pieced, and
- Materials: fabric-100% cotton /
- Private collection, Newton, MA
This is one of a series of quilts in which three dimensional, constructed tucks are incorporated into a pieced background. The fabrics used to piece the background were hand dyed in 14 shades from black to gray to white. The background was constructed from two separate pieced squares. The first square was white with a black triangle, which graduates to gray in the center. The second was a black square with a white triangle, which graduates to black in the center. Each triangle was cut into vertical strips, and the strips were sewn back together in alternating rows, with a ½" tuck in each seam allowance. The alternating of strips, and the distraction of the three dimensional "tucks" creates the illusion of two, transparent, overlapping triangles.
Each of the 1/2" "tucks” was constructed from two different fabrics. The left sides of the tucks, and the right sides of the tucks graduate from white to black in different arrangements. The use of value gradations, and the twisting of the tucks from side to side, create the illusion of movement and light across the surface of the quilt.
A 1" inner border of black and white checks surrounds the three dimensional center panel, echoing the alternating black and white stripes of the background.
- THE ARTIST WORKS, 1990-91, Naperville, IL
- GLASS GROWERS GALLERY, 1991, (invitational exhibition) Erie, PA
- THE CHICAGO CONNECTION: CONTEMPORARY WORKS IN FIBER, (Invitational exhibition) 1991, Hinsdale Center for the Arts, Hinsdale, IL
- WELLSPRING GALLERY, 1991, Opening Exhibition, Santa Monica, CA
- STYLEWORKS GALLERY, 1992, St.Louis, MO
- THE COURT STREET COLLECTION GALLERY, Invitational exhibit of contemporary quilts, 1993, Athens, OH
- PICTORIAL QUILT AND FOLK ART EXHIBIT 1993 Kentucky Gallery of Fine Crafts & Art (invitational)
- Lexington, KY
- THE ARTISANS ART, Barrington Area Arts Council Gallery , 1993, (invitational) Barrington, IL
- NEWTON ARTS CENTER, Benefit Show, 1993, Newtonville, MA
- None as of
August 25, 2016
Web Site Design by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry © 1997-2015
All Rights Reserved
Bryerpatch Studio • 10 Baycliff Place • Port Townsend, WA • 98368 • USA
360-385-2568 • firstname.lastname@example.org