See more information and details below
- Copyright © 2003 Caryl Bryer Fallert
- Size: 59" x 48"
- Techniques: Hand dyed and painted, machine pieced, and
- Materials: 100% cotton fabric / batting: 100% cotton
- Private Collection, Jackson, TN
- Photo: Caryl Bryer Fallert
The design for this quilt came during
a sleepless night when I got out of bed, and made a series
of ten small drawings to pass the time. One of those drawings
was refined to create the design for this quilt. This is the
sixth quilt in a series based on those midnight drawings.
The final design was enlarged and drawn full size on a four
by five foot rectangular piece of freezer paper to create
the templates for this quilt.
Much of this quilt was pieced directly onto the long curving
paper templates, following pencil lines drawn on the back
to achieve precision. Before piecing I cut strips of fabric
in color and value (light to dark) gradations and layed them
out on my ironing table in arrangements I call intersecting
color and value gradations. The areas between this complex
piecing were then filled with larger pieces of fabric which
was hand painted with dye in many different patterns and colors.
There are many areas where long sweeping curves seem transparent
in places where they cross. This illusion was created by carefully
selecting fabrics for those templates in colors that blended
the colors of two curves that appear to cross. Fabrics in
more than a hundred different colors and patterns were used.
More than fifty different colors of polyester and acrylic
top stitching thread were used for the quilting. This quilt
was made as a special commission for the home of Suzie Phillips.
Exhibitions and Awards:
- American Quilters Society 20th Anniversary Show: 2004, Paducah,
KY. (Best Machine Workmanship Award
for Wall Quilts)
- American Quilters Society 20th Anniversary Show Catalog, p.
- Contemporary Quilting: Exciting Techniques and Quilts from
Cindy Walter & Stevii Graves, KP Books, p. 80
- Arte Patchwork, (Spain) December 2009, p. 9
- Handi Crafts (Japan), Volume 110, 2020, p. 23
Web Site Design by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry © 1997-2022
All Rights Reserved
Bryerpatch Studio • 10 Baycliff Place • Port Townsend, WA • 98368 • USA
360-385-2568 • email@example.com