Graduated fabrics like the ones used in this quilt are available from our internet Store!
by Caryl Bryer Fallert
This is one of a series of quilts in which three dimensional, constructed tucks are incorporated into a patterned background. The background fabric was painted with fiber reactive dyes, in a radiating design of pure, intense, rainbow hues. Each of the 1/2" "tucks" was constructed from two different fabrics. The right sides of the tucks were made from fabrics dyed in a gradation of values from white to navy blue to black. The left sides of the tucks are a 44 hue gradation of pure rainbow colors. The use of both color and value gradations, and the twisting of the tucks from side to side, create the illusion of movement and light across the surface of the quilt.
Lattice strips between the horizontal sections of tucks are made from hand painted, rainbow striped fabric.
A radiating, string pieced border draws the eye into the three dimensional center panel of the quilt. The border is constructed from alternating strips of solid graduated colors and hand painted striped fabric. Exhibitions and Awards:
- Caryl Bryer Fallert: A Sense of Wonder, solo exhibition at the Burlington Arts Center, Burlington, ON, Canada, Feb. 28- Mar.30. 2001 info@BurlingtonArtCentre.on.ca To see the whole show, Click Here
- QUILTS = ART=QUILTS, 1991-92, (juried exhibition) Schweinfurth Art Center, Auburn, NY
- MID-STATES CRAFTS EXHIBITION (juried) 1992, Evansville Museum of Arts and Sciences, Evansville, IN
- NEEDLE EXPRESSIONS, 1992, (juried exhibition) Council of American Embroiderers, Tempe Arts Center, Tempe, AZ
- SOLO EXHIBITION, Library of the College of duPage, 1993, Glen Ellyn, IL
- QUILTS: CONTEMPORARY VOICES FROM THE PLAINS, 1992 (invitational) Gallery 181, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- PAPER FIBER XVI, 1993, Iowa City Johnson County Arts Council, (juried) Iowa City, IA
- FIBER ARTS '93, The Creative Arts Guild, (BASF Fibers sponsor) 1993, (juried) Dalton, GA
- SYNNOTT & ASSOCIATES, Lobby Gallery, Solo Exhibition, Dec.1993-Feb.1994, Chicago, IL
- CRAFTS NATIONAL, 1994 (juried) Zoller Gallery, University Park, PA
- THE WORKS GALLERY, 1994, Philadelphia, PA
- SPECTRUM: THE TEXTILE ART OF CARYL BRYER FALLERT, Solo Exhibition, 1996, Illinois Art Gallery, Chicago, IL
- PENNY NII QUILT ART GALLERY, Sanford Ca, 1997-98
- BITS AND PIECES QUILTERS GUILD SHOW - St Louis, MO 1999
- MID-ATLANTIC QUILT FESTIVAL, 1993, (Juried Exhibit) Williamsburg, VA
- ART QUILT MAGAZINE, 1994: Premiere Issue, pp. 10
CARYL BRYER FALLERT: A SPECTRUM OF QUILTS, 1983-1995, 1996, AQS Books, p. 68